Watching the grandma with her fanny pack hacking the bones from the meat with a machete like a scimitar, it seems clear that she is one of those who have accepted the role of attending death. She goes about it matter of factly. She cuts a chicken in half, its legs splayed. A man comes in, dressed in pale camouflage—gray and white, that would blend in with a pebbled beach—he sits on a stool behind her and drinks white rum out of the bottle. Like spirits accepting their due—the drops of white rum, the money accepted with bloodstained hands. I wonder why I never noticed before that the world of spirits was so immediate—so material. They are made of flesh and blood themselves.
Saturday, December 14, 2013
Watching the grandma with her fanny pack hacking the bones from the meat with a machete like a scimitar, it seems clear that she is one of those who have accepted the role of attending death. She goes about it matter of factly. She cuts a chicken in half, its legs splayed. A man comes in, dressed in pale camouflage—gray and white, that would blend in with a pebbled beach—he sits on a stool behind her and drinks white rum out of the bottle. Like spirits accepting their due—the drops of white rum, the money accepted with bloodstained hands. I wonder why I never noticed before that the world of spirits was so immediate—so material. They are made of flesh and blood themselves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment